If you are planning to graduate, this page will provide you with useful information to prepare for this milestone and help you ensure that your degree requirements are being met.
The graduation dates for the upcoming year are:
- November 1st, 2022
- March 1st, 2023
- May 16th, 2023
- July 7th, 2023
Please note that only the May and July dates have a public ceremony, but November and March graduates can participate in the May ceremony.
Students are eligible to graduate once they:
- Complete all the requirements for their degree. This can be confirmed through a degree audit, which graduating students complete for themselves and submit to Academic Advising for verification.
- Submit a Graduation Application for their intended date. Both the audit form and graduation application are available here.
Completing a degree audit will help you ensure you're meeting the requirements of your program and will give you the opportunity to make adjustments—if needed.
Find answers to commonly asked questions regarding eligibility to graduate, degree requirements, transfer credits and more.
Here are some common problem areas for potential grads. The following examples are issues that would keep you from graduating.
- Having less than 120 credit hours. Your degree requires you to have completed 120.
- Not having enough credit hours beyond the 1000 level – you can only have 48 credits of 1000 level courses and therefore need at least 72 credits above the 1000 level.
- One credit hour courses. Students will occasionally take courses that are one credit but think they are three credits. Any STU course number that ends in a “1” (FNAR-1231 for example) is only worth one credit. These are mostly in the Fine Arts Department.
- Three credit hour courses that are spread over the full year. We have a handful of courses (like Model UN) that are worth three credit hours and take place over both semesters. Be sure to take an extra course in first semester to account for this.
- You must meet the Group Distribution Requirement. 12 credit hours from Group A courses and 12 credit hours from Group B courses, with only 6 credit hours required from C and/or D.
- You must have a 2.0 GPA on your last 30 credit hours or last academic year of study.
- Not submitting an application. You cannot graduate if you do not apply, even if you have completed your degree requirements.