What should I bring with me to residence?
All of our residence rooms are equipped with a desk, chair, bookshelf, bed, mattress, closet space, lighting, cable connection, wireless internet connection and a telephone with free long distance within Canada. Although we provide students with a furnished space, many bring items from home that will help personalize the area. Suggestions include:


  • Flip Flops for the shower (Upper Campus)
  • Toiletries (Toothbrush, Floss, Mouthwash)
  • Pillows
  • Sheets
  • Comforter
  • Towels
  • Kitchen utensils (each residence has a full kitchen)
  • Laundry detergent
  • Laundry bag (washers take regular, non HE detergent)
  • Sticky Tac for posters and pictures! No tacks allowed
  • Posters
  • Clothing Hangers
  • Alarm Clock
  • Surge Protector/Power Bar


Other suggestions


  • Hair dryer
  • Mini Fridge
  • Microwave
  • Can Opener
  • Fan
  • Desk lamp
  • Small rug
  • Electric Kettle
  • Keurig/Coffee maker
  • Small television

If you do not want to take your bed linens from home, the University has partnered with Campus Linens of Canada to allow you to order linens online that will be shipped to your residence room and waiting for you when you arrive. To take advantage of this opportunity, visit www.campuslinenscanada.com and look for the St. Thomas section.

Please do not bring:

  • BBQ/Open Element Appliances (hot plates, electric grills)
  • Deep Fryers
  • Explosives/Firecrackers
  • Illegal Drugs/Paraphernalia
  • Subwoofers/Amplifiers
  • Halogen Lamps
  • Nails or Tacks
  • Waterbeds/Hot Tubs
  • Pets
  • Weapons including large knives, martial arts weapons, firearms, pellet or B.B. guns, or replica weapons.
  • Satellite Dishes
  • Full-Sized Appliances (fridges/freezers/washers/dryers)
  • Large volume alcohol containers (bubbas, kegs, Texas Mickeys, funnels)
  • Items that promote unsafe alcohol consumption (e.g. drinking games or drinking game tables, funnels, or any other drinking paraphernalia)
  • Candles including decorative, incense, potpourri burners, and flammable liquids (items to be used for religious purposes must be approved by Residence Life Offic

Can I move in early?
Early arrivals will be processed on a case by case basis. The early arrival application form is available HERE.

What are the quiet hours?

Sunday to Thursday, moderate quiet hours starts from 10:00 pm and absolute quiet hours start from 12:00 pm to 8:00 am. Friday and Saturday, moderate quiet hours begin at 12:00 am, and absolute quiet hours are in place from 2:00 am to 10:00 am.

What is the process if I want to change rooms?
To best serve the more than 700 students within residence life, there is a process in place for any student wishing to change rooms. For the first three weeks of each semester, there will be a room freeze to allow students an opportunity to settle in and allow for an inventory of spaces to be made optimizing student options if a room change is requested.

Firstly, it is important to discuss issues with your roommate. University, especially your first year can be a big adjustment. Often, problems can be resolved through open communication. If this is done with no success, you can contact your Residence Coordinator to schedule a meeting to discuss your issue. You can expect the Residence Coordinator to talk through different techniques on addressing potential roommate issues (i.e. mediation) before options about room changes are presented. Mediation must take place before a room change is considered.

If it is deemed necessary to make a room change, the proper paperwork must be completed. The Residence Life Office will have a Room Change Request form that must be completed. If your request to change rooms is approved, it must be submitted to the Residence Life Office (GMH 303). Opportunities to change rooms will vary depending on space and limitations. All room changes must be approved by the Residence Life Office and residents will be charged a $35.00 Room Change Fee (per person) for approved changes that take place during the academic year.

Is smoking permitted in residence?
Smoking is not permitted within residence. However, there is a marked designated smoking area located outside each residence.

How do the meal plans work?

St. Thomas University offers All You Care To Eat Dining on campus to allow students to enjoy visits to either the George Martin or Forest Hill Dining Halls to the fullest. All You Care To Eat meal plans mean that once you have swiped yourself in to the dining hall with your student ID/meal card, you are able to enjoy as much or as little food as you wish without worrying about the costs of individual items. There are three meal plan options, for additional information please click here.

What if I had dietary restrictions?
Students who have special dietary requirements can call Food Services directly at (506) 460-0310 or email executivechef@stu.ca in early fall/spring to make arrangements for specific dietary needs.

What happens if I lose my meal card ?
Notify the Food Services Office at (506) 460-0310 or e-mail foodservices@stu.ca as soon as possible. A stop will be put on the card and a temporary card will be issued.

Are there kitchens in residences?
Yes, there is a kitchen in every residence.

What are the visitation policies/procedures/guidelines?

Residents are welcome to have guests during the academic year (with the exception of holidays and exam times). All overnight guest must be signed in. Sign in sheets are available from your Residence Advisors. Specific policies are outline in our Residence Guide.


What if I want to leave residence during the academic year?

When you sign the Residence Agreement and accept a residence placement, you are committing to remain in residence for the entirety of the academic year. If you decide to withdraw from residence during the academic year, you will still be financially responsible for residence and meal plan fees. The amounts are based on the official date of withdrawal as outlined in the withdraw form listed below.

Residence Withdraw Form

Students wishing to withdraw from residence before the end of their residence agreement must begin the process with a Residence Life Office staff member, located in George Martin Hall, room 303. A withdrawal request form must be completed at the office. The date of the withdrawal for the purpose of fee administration will be the date this approval is given, or the date the student has checked out of residence and returned their keys, whichever is later. In the case of a withdrawal prior to the end of the residence agreement a student’s house dues, damage deposit, residence deposit and laundry fees will be forfeited.

Is there parking for residents?
Parking is available for residence and non-residence students. Parking passes are purchased through UNB Security. Parking passes are not required to park at the Forest Hill Residences.

Should I get tenant's insurance?

We do strongly encourage obtaining property and general liability insurance coverage to insure your personal property against loss or damage by fire, flood, theft and other perils. St. Thomas University assumes no responsibility for any damages that may occur to your personal belongings whatever the cause. Check with your parents’ house insurance policy provider because they may have special rates they can offer.

What should I know about moving out of residence at the end of the year?
Before vacating your residence room, you must make arrangements to officially check out with a member of the Residence Life team. Below is a checklist of what needs to be completed prior to leaving. Keep in mind that residents sharing a double room are equally responsible for the condition and furnishings of these areas.

  • Rooms must be thoroughly cleaned, furniture in original state, all personal belongings must be removed, all garbage removed, drawers wiped clean, walls free from poster tape and stick-tac.
  • Room Check Forms must be completed and signed by the student and the Residence Advisor/Residence Coordinator
  • All Keys must be returned (room, front door and any other keys received since check-in). Residents will be charged a replacement fee of $25 per key if not turned in at check-out.

Where do I go for additional information?

The Residence Life Office is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The office is located at 51 Dineen Drive in George Martin Hall, 303. For further information, you may contact the office at (506) 452-0578 during regular business hours.